Led by licensed mental health counselors, peer supporters, Dar a Luz moms, midwives and RN birth assistants, our groups grow and thrive organically.
Groups meet on a regular schedule so you can plan ahead. All are free and open to the community. No registration is required. All support groups take place at Dar a Luz Birth & Health Center, unless otherwise noted in the full group description below.
Here's a quick overview of our groups. Scroll down for details, including location.
- Breastfeeding and New Mom Support Group every Wednesday 10:00 a.m. to noon.
- Evening Latch and Toddler Group, 1st & 3rd Wednesdays each month from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- New Parents Support Group *NOTE: This group will be changing to a monthly Mindful Partnering/Mindful Parenting group starting January 12th (see below).
- Mindful Partnering, Mindful Parenting (adults only), the second Thursday of each month from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Birth Trauma Circle (adults only), the fourth Thursday of every even-numbered month (February, April, etc.) from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted*; see below for next scheduled groups.
- New! Pappy Hour (dads only) - scheduled monthly. Please see below for more information
- New! Piñon Pappies (for dads and partners, children welcome but not required) - scheduled monthly. Please see below for more information
- New! Reunion groups - scheduled with birth class teachers. Reunite with your five-week class group (either Dar a Luz birth class or Blissborn)
Call us with questions and suggestions! 505-924-2229, ext. 0.
These groups are free & open to our extended community.
Please let your loved ones know about the support available to them at Dar a Luz.
Breastfeeding and New Mom Support Group
- Meets each Wednesday morning from 10:00 to noon (except holidays).
- Bring your babies and enjoy support, snacks and friends. This is free, and open to everyone.
- Facilitated by our peer counselor, with support from lactation experts and midwives.
- Designed for new moms, moms breastfeeding children of any age and pregnant moms who will be breastfeeding shortly.
- See "Evening Latch" for evening meetings.
Sore nipples? Low milk supply? Worried about returning to work and pumping? Or just wanting to spend some time visiting and sharing with other breastfeeding moms? This group is for you.
Come share your stories, worries, and valuable experience with other moms! This group offers the opportunity to share in the wisdom of other breastfeeding mothers and birth center professionals. Concerned that your baby might not be getting enough milk? Wondering how other moms deal with night feedings? Come share your questions and experience.
Have you heard about our donor milk collection program? We are New Mexico's only Milk Depot! We collect frozen breastmilk and ship it to a Milk Bank, for pasteurization and distribution to sick babies. Read about it on our Milk Depot page, or come to Breastfeeding Support Group and talk to our coordinator mom, Whitney.
Evening Latch & Toddler Group
Do you need help with breastfeeding?
Are you looking to make friends with other moms who have newborns, babies or toddlers?
- Evening Latch meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday evenings each month at 6:30 p.m.
- Once a month join us an hour early -- for Mom and Baby Yoga with doula MJ Vargas. See the schedule on our calendar page.
- We can help you prepare, get started, and assist with transitions such as pumping or returning to work or school.
- Ask questions, bounce a challenge off of an experienced mama, or come just to socialize.
- Free, and open to our larger community! Tell your friends!
Evening Latch is a place for breastfeeding moms and babies to meet and talk with each other and Peer Counselor Robin Hayter (see "Breastfeeding Support Group" for daytime meetings that include nurses and midwives).
Come for our Dar a Luz Evening Latch and enjoy some light, healthy snacks and the company of other moms and their babies. Hosted by our Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Robin Hayter, this group has resources available for your needs.
Note: This is a peer-to-peer group. Call Dar a Luz if you need to see a lactation consultant or midwife.
Mindful Partnering, Mindful Parenting
Beginning January 12th, 2017, this group will be meeting monthly, on the second Thursday of each month, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Do you feel overwhelmed in your marriage or partnership? Has having had a baby created challenges or new stressors in your life? You are not alone. Please come explore and experience gentle guided meditation and mindfulness practices that will leave you feeling calm, witnessed and supported. Develop tools that will help you meet your current challenges in a skillful way.
Birth Trauma Circle
- Meets the fourth Thursday of every even-numbered month from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. (unless otherwise noted)
- This group is for mothers and their partners who had a birth experience that differed from what they had imagined or wanted.
- We respectfully ask that children do not attend this group due to the sensitive nature of the topics discussed.
- Many parents have an idea of how they want their birth to go. So what happens when things don't go according to plan? They can be left feeling disappointed, inadequate, grief-stricken, depressed, anxious, or traumatized. Birth trauma is real, and those who have experienced it can find a place at Dar A Luz to start their healing journey. We are here to listen and to support you ... to help you attune to and bond with your baby, and to work through your experiences, in order to find peace.
NEW! Pappy Hour
Dar a Luz does not advocate or encourage the abuse of alcoholic beverages. Please drink responsibly and in moderation.
- This group is for dads only! Moderated by Dar a Luz dads, these casual gatherings will be held at various local brewpubs, about once a month. We are excited for Dar a Luz dads to have the opportunity to gather and connect in a relaxed atmosphere. All dads in our greater Albuquerque and surrounding communities are welcome too. When these are scheduled, please RSVP so we know how many to set up for! Also, let Tracy know if you'd like to be placed on the list for information about when these are scheduled.
Saturday, May 6, from 5 to 7 p.m., at Bow & Arrow Brewing
Watch the calendar for our next ones, or to sign up...new dates and local breweries coming soon!
NEW! Piñon Pappies
- Kids welcome but not required.
- This is a dads' and other partners' hiking group, set up and run by some of our Dar a Luz dads. If you like to hang out and do things in nature, this is a friendly and fun group to meet! All dads and partners in our greater Albuquerque and surrounding communities are welcome too.
- Usually gets together monthly. When these are scheduled, please RSVP so they know who to expect! Also, let Tracy know if you'd like to be placed on the list for information about when these are scheduled.
Watch Facebook for these events!
NEW! Reunion Classes
- Babies welcome--that's the point!
- This is a chance to get back together with your five-week series (Dar a Luz or Blissborn) birth class after everyone has had their babies. Set this up with your birth class instructor!
- Available the fourth Thursday of every odd-numbered month (January, March, etc.) from 6 to 8 p.m.
*NOTE: Please set these up with your birth class teachers. We must have RSVPs for these!
The New Mexico Share Groups will be transitioning to Shifting Perspectives and will be co-led by two other loss moms, one who has been a member of the group, Evangeline Gonzales, LCSW. Jennifer Chavez, LMHC works with Evangeline and is also a loss mom. Please offer them both a warm and accepting welcome to the groups.
Both groups will now be held at:
5827 4th Street NW 87107
The groups schedule will be:
NM Share 1st Thursday of every month 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Subsequent Choices (Pregnancy after Loss) 3rd Thursday of every month 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Also please join us in extending thanks to Kimberlee Maresma for her important work with NM Share. She will continue to facilitate the Birth Trauma and Mindful Partnering Groups at Dar a Luz.