Services We offer at Dar a Luz Birth & Health Center
Dar a Luz Birth & Health Center's providers are Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNM).
We offer Midwifery & Well-Woman healthcare.
Our services include:
- Pregnancy tests
- Prenatal care
- Learn about the conditions that are OK for a birth center birth here.
- Any lab work needed
- Whole-food supplements, breastfeeding supplies and herbal support in our retail shop
- Referral for ultrasounds
- Choice of birth classes including a traditional 5-week series, a hypnosis class, or a condensed 4-hour class.
- 24-hour access to a midwife
- Water birth (read about water birth safety here)
- Nitrous oxide, pain medications and water papules for comfort
- Home-like environment; private room; freedom to move, eat and drink; and attentive care during labor and birth.
- Placenta encapsulation equipment rental
- Postpartum care, including birth control planning
- Your first postpartum checkup is a home visit (if you live within 30 minutes of the birth center)
- Breastfeeding help with our Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs)
- Newborn checkups (first month)
- Breastfeeding support groups and classes
- Newborn care assistance and classes
- Carseat training and assistance
Well Woman Care
- Annual exams
- Pap smears
- STD testing and treatment
- Pre-conception counseling
- Birth control management
- Natural family planning
- Managing menstrual problems
- Menopausal care - we can help women manage menopause naturally (we do not prescribe hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or bio-identical hormones).
- Treatment of urinary/vaginal infections
- Referral for mammograms
- Certain lab tests needed, such as cholesterol, thyroid, glucose, vitamin D, etc.
You can start your care at Dar a Luz almost anytime in your pregnancy!
You may also start before pregnancy with support getting pregnant and preparing for a healthy pregnancy. And anytime you need an annual exam, pap smear or birth control, our midwives will spend a full hour with you to provide holistic and compassionate care.
Also, as CNMs we have full prescriptive authority and may prescribe medications as necessary. We work with collaborating physicians and may consult or refer women if treatment outside of our scope of practice is needed.
If you are a woman who is 30 years of age or older and have no insurance, Casa de Salud, with the assistance of the Breast & Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, is providing free pap smears and mammograms. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
We are contracted with all major insurance companies and Medicaid, and we offer discounted services for qualifying self-pay clients. We also strive to offer free and/or discounted services to underserved families through grant funds and donations.
Dar a Luz has three internationally-certified lactation consultants who can help anyone with breastfeeding questions, whether you are a birth center client or not. These visits are usually covered 100% by insurance, so don't hesitate to come and get help! Call or text for an appointment or drop into our free breastfeeding support group offered every Wednesday morning, hosted by a lactation consultant.